Monday 2 December 2013

Mind the Gap

An aspect of the process of urban design which fascinates me without fail is the space between perception and reality.
Recently a community group I spoke with lamented that there were so many homeless living in the local park. Upon investigation, I discovered that there in fact just 3 homeless gentlemen sleeping in the park. The community group wrongly assumes that homeless folks don't own a change of clothes! The gap between perception and reality could be closed here with a simple introduction and eye contact recognition.

Perception. Reality. Spatial consequence.

I have never owned a bicycle. My perception is largely that the city is a hostile environment, with roads being the saddest of the spaces where true human nature can be expressed. Not too different from open forums on popular/controversial blogs. Why would I inhabit that space without the maximum protection afforded to me by the 30 000 parts that make up the average road vehicle?


Of course the reality of the situation is that not all roads are created equal, not all roads are used equally and not all road users are equally treated. Were I to attempt to negotiate Claremont Main Road every morning during peak congestion periods I may find my perceptions remain fixed. In recently reviewing my car usage however, I have found that more than half of my car trips are under 10km in distance and outside of peak hours. Additionally, everyone of those trips can be made using alternate routes/back-roads should I chose to do so.

Tick tock.

Tomorrow I will begin my epic cycle challenge. Yes, that is a veiled attempt an aligning the challenge of changing my perceptions with the challenge of completing 718km of mountain bike madness (Google ABSA Cape Epic!). I will be collecting my bike tomorrow from a kind sponsor who believes that one voice can sometimes be loud enough. I will find the back roads and use my bike as much as possible to the tune of 100km a month minimum. I have yet to understand what is required from a kit perspective, but the minimum of a helmet, light and carrier have been met. I am still searching for a Go Pro sponsor, so if that is you - let me know!

To what end.

I advocate for mixed used developments from the comfort of my swivel chair. Every self respecting urbanist does. I have not considered the complexity of mixed use roads from the comfort of a saddle. Every self respecting urbanist should.


Follow the journey with me @contestedspaces








No comments:

Post a Comment